Summer Volunteer Program
2015 Meditation in Action
Summer Volunteer Program
The Summer Volunteer Program (SVP) is the perfect way to spend all or part of your summer! The program is open to any individual who has a strong interest in the unique and rich tradition of Shambhala. Join with other volunteers and residential staff for the opportunity to practice meditation, study, and work in community at one of the oldest retreat centers in the United States.
Participants in the program will receive food, accommodations, access to a personal meditation instructor, weekly volunteer meetings and classes, and the experience of life at a Dharma Center. After completion of a session participants will receive program credit that can be applied to program tuition for any of our programs.
The Summer Volunteer Program has four sessions. Each session is structured as its own program; volunteers will arrive on the start date and stay until the departure date (see below).
2015 Session Dates
Please Note: All participants accepted to the program must be at least 18 years of age prior to arrival.
The Application Process:
- If you are new to Shambhala Buddhism, first learn about it on our website and at www.shambhala.org to see if this unique tradition is of interest to you. A few great books to check out are: Turning the Mind into an Ally by Sakyong Mipham; Ruling Your World by Sakyong Mipham; Shambhala: Sacred Path of the Warrior by Chögyam Trungpa.
- Read through the Department Overviews below to see typical volunteer opportunities. Please note on your application any skills/experience you have to share in any of these areas. However specialized skills are not a requirement except for certain departments as noted in the Department descriptions.
- If you are not a US citizen or permanent resident you must check the VISA requirements and time restrictions for attendance in the program as a volunteer for the period of time you would like to stay. Once accepted into the SVP (and prior to arrival) you must inform the Director of Personnel that you are aware of and have met all requirements of the Dept. of US Immigration.
- Fill out an application online (see below), and complete and email a Reference Request Form to three references. Have these references email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications will be reviewed and those selected will be contacted for a telephone interview. Interviews begin in March and continue on a rolling basis until the program is filled.
- Once accepted as a Summer Volunteer you will receive orientation information via email. You should confirm your attendance with the SVP Coordinator asap in order to hold your space (contact info will be listed in the orientation letter).
Work and Benefits:
You commit to:
- One full session or more of volunteering
- Work 30 hours per week with 3-5 hours of additional community work (e.g. dish shifts etc.)
- Attend all SVP classes, practice sessions, meetings, social outings and Community event
- Room and Board (shared tents; temporary dorm housing for early arrivals prior to May tent set-up)
- Free classes within the Shambhala Buddhist tradition
- Two hours each day for formal meditation/contemplation practice and/or study
- Contact with a Meditation Instructor to receive support and answer questions about your practice
- Program Voucher, which may be used to attend a Karmê Chöling weekend program or be applied to two days of a longer program
Volunteers often work in one or more departments throughout each session as our overall needs fluctuate. We try to match volunteers with their interests and skills however it is most helpful to us to have volunteers who are flexible.
FACILITIES Help to uplift and maintain the buildings, shrine rooms, tents and grounds of Karmê Chöling. Experience with: painting, carpentry, construction, trail maintenance, landscaping, or plumbing is a plus but not required!
KITCHEN Work with our Kitchen to prepare meals for our staff and guests. Experience in a professional kitchen, cooking for large groups and/or a background in culinary arts is ideal but not required. We prepare meat, vegetarian and special diet meals and utilize organic produce from our garden.
HOUSEKEEPING Assist our fabulous housekeeping staff with things such as keeping the bathrooms and showers clean, vacuuming, prepping rooms for guest, deep cleaning, and laundry.
MARKETING Help communicate how our programs and the Karme Choling experience can be of benefit to society. Includes administrative duties. Prior experience or propensity for marketing and proficiency with computers is required.
GARDEN Volunteer under our Master Gardeners and assist with all aspects of tending our one-acre organic garden and flowerbeds! Garden experience required. FYI, g arden is full, no voluteers needed for this year's SVP session.
If you have any questions, please contact the Director of Personnel: email@example.com
Have a Shambhala Account? Click here to log in.
The following color indicates a field is required.